Friday, October 3, 2008

Shopping in Medina - January 2008


Yes, during my time in Medina Baye, I managed to squeeze in some shopping. The markets are the most fascinating places. Everything is sold at the market, food, meat, clothing, furniture, chickens, everything! All in one market. It was definitely fun negotiating as I could not understand any Wolof. Amidst the pointing and finger counting and head shaking we managed to negotiate good prices for scarfs, bangles and fruit. I even managed to get an outfit made at the local tailor! ... with the help of a picture and a prayer! hehe.




Silver jewellery is rather cheap with unique West african designs. Everything is locally made and artisans are usually manning the shops. Those who could understand us explained to us how various items were made.
Do not attempt to shop without a guide or some rudimentary understanding of the language and value of the currency.

No comments: